Friday, February 1, 2013

Detergent Caps!

When I'm given objects to work with, I usually like to think of something functional that I can make, rather than something sculptural.  With this project, though, I think I want to make something that's decorative.  I was also thinking about how my bedroom looks.  There are a lot of colors and kind of drapey things and things hanging from all sorts of places.

Also I just figured out this cool panorama feature on my phone.
But, I was thinking about things that would  make a space feel more cozy and I was thinking that If there were flowers hanging from the ceiling everywhere it would be a whole lot more cozy.

My idea is mostly centered around making arrangements of fake flowers.  Classy ones.  I want to take the detergent bottle caps and cut them into little circles, and then make flower arrangements inside of them like this.  The little strap in the middle is the cut up bottle cap.  I'm really excited to play with different kinds of flowers.  On Thanksgiving I got make all of the flower arrangements for the tables and it was the most fun thing ever.  I got to go to the flower shop and pick out all of the different colors and arrange them all in the vases.  Lots of fun.  So I think it would be really fun to go to Michael's and find lots of fun looking flowers and arrange them.  I also want to spray paint the caps so that they're more earth-tones and less fluorescent. 

I couldn't figure out how I wanted to arrange all of the individual flower arrangements, but then when I was thinking about my bedroom I thought it would be cool to hang them from the ceiling.  I think that was Annie's idea, actually.  I'm excited for it to be kind of an installation, because I don't ever really work big like that.  I think it would be a good balance of the kind of tedious work that I like and something more large-scale.












10 comments:

  1. I even just like your drawings of your idea. I think it will be really intersting to incoporate the bottle caps and the flowers and i like the idea of the movement they can get from hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You used the perfect word: this idea is SO COZY! I like the way you organized your proposal, and made a good use of the pictures. Also, the way you were inspired by the space where you are going to put the piece and not just the materials sounds like how a real life proposal would work! Good luck in your future career endeavors. I'll buy your artwork when you are a super famous artist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Linds, your sketches are so cute! Since I'm proposing an installation idea too - I support you completely! I think the "classy fake flowers" will look awesome with the caps! Like I said to So Yeon, have some fun with colors! How big are you thinking of making this? I think it'll look great! I'm really curious as to how you will attach the flowers to the cap and how exactly you will hang the cap! It'll look awesome, Greta :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. please feel free to install this in my bedroom as well. I love the idea, it reminds me of anthropologie store decorations. I also like that you looked past the bright colors of the bottles and decided to spray paint them to get what you were really looking for. I would like to see how this turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool! I like the "cozy" idea! I think the more cozy you arrange these flowers, the better result there can be. Couldn't wait to see the final work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think lush, plush or cushy is the word that comes to my mind. Paige is right, if you make this you should send copyrighted pictures to Anthropologie immediately. You may want to think about earth-toned flowers and not painting the caps...I love how clear your drawings are and the site specific image of where this idea will live is great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds lovely! Like Kristen, my main question is how large do you plan on making this? Also, how do you plan on attaching the flowers and caps to the panel? I think one thing you'll need to be careful of is using similar colored flowers throughout the entire piece, otherwise it may turn out a bit chaotic! I'm excited to see the final product!

    ReplyDelete
  8. since you said hanging from the ceiling i automatically think chandelier. The detergant cups are translucent (some of them) and depending on what kind of flowers you buy playing around with light would make this really cool . LEDs are really small bright and self contained and could be a great addition to this fixture. And even if you dont like that idea i thought it was cool that the flower arrangements would hang indivusually. If you do this then you could tie them all todeather or in different groups and change entire thing. they could also be mounted in a line and hung as a curtain in a window or as a room divider. just throwing things out there

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so awesome! I feel like this project is so appealing to me at least because you plan on so much juxtaposing (my favorite word btw). The flowers will be hanging upside-down, which is obviously the opposite of how they normally sprout up from the ground. You're contrasting the vibrant, plasticy hues and forms with the earthtones and natural form of flowers. They'll likely be in a square frame, but hanging at naturally different lengths. I think this project is incredible and wonderful and it should happen. And then stay in the art studio forever to make us all happy. Like Greta.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this idea is so cute!! :-) I think it will make such an good decoration to have in the room. the only concern would be the crumbles that will fall off of flowers,

    ReplyDelete