Thursday, May 2, 2013

May 1


Today was the community service day, so I didn’t actually get to work on my project during the day.  We went to the Schwartz Center in Dartmouth and did art projects with the kids.  We made cut outs of facial features and helped them glue them on paper to make family portraits.  It was kind of stressful because I had never spent any time with kids with disabilities like that before.  But it was good.  Then when I came back I got interviewed about my senior project.  For Tabor Today I think, or something like that.  They made a video.  It was kind of uncomfortable.  But I think it went ok. I got to unload the kiln, too!  Which is always just so exciting.  Everything came out successfully except one cup had a little crack in it. So now I have six dinner plates, six salad plates, eight cups, a platter, and four bowls.  I’m going to load up the kiln again probably on Friday, and all I have to do is blind contour the teacups and the serving dish. And glaze them.  Oh and I have the candleholders that are still in the works. 
            We’ve been painting the walls at coffee o.  They were this really ugly peach color and some of them were dark brown.  Now they’re a really nice buttery yellow color.  It’s been really fun going after school, from around six until around eleven, cleaning and painting.  And we’ve had pizza and Indian food, and it’s just been really nice and fun.  I’m going to go again tonight and then I think Thursday too.  It looked so dirty before and now it just looks really nice and clean and bright. 
            I started reading a book called The Street Where the Heart Lies by Ludwig Bemelmans.  He’s the person who wrote Madeline.  And he also writes actual novels and he’s an artist.  It’s about this person who was pretty well off, living in Paris, and he decides that he wants to leave everything behind so he throws everything out of his window and takes his mattress under a bridge and lives there.  I like it so far.  There’s a whole community of people who live around there who he’s describing and it all sounds really picturesque.  It’s translated from French, and I think it makes it sound kind of funny.  After I finish it I want to find a copy of it in French and read it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment