Friday, May 10, 2013

May 9


I had my AP lit exam today.  It went ok.  The multiple-choice part was easier than I thought it was going to be.  And the essays were ok, too.  I finished and still had forty minutes left, which made me kind of uncomfortable, but I think I wrote all that I could think of.  I didn’t actually talk about any of the books we read in class this year.  I thought that was kind of funny.  The book essay was about a story where someone grows up, and I talked about The Road by Cormac McCarthy.
            I didn’t make it into the studio to work yesterday.  Even though I’m done throwing, I feel guilty when I don’t spend all of my free blocks in there.  Although yesterday I didn’t even really have time to because I had the exam in the morning and then I was working on my world religions project during the last two blocks.  I had to make a presentation about Quakers.  I think that it’s a really cool branch of Christianity.  Women have totally equal standing with men in the quaker church.  I think it’s crazy how much sexism there is in religion.  We learned about Orthodox Judaism, and women are just totally subservient to their husbands.  I can’t believe that women are okay with that.  I watched a PBS video about it, and the women didn’t even seem to mind it.  They felt like they had their own kind of power apart from the men, even though they weren’t allowed to sit with them in the synagogue or even read from the Torah.  They just form really tight knit communities of women.  You would think that in religion the sexism would be against men, because women are the life givers.  But it was nice to learn about a religion where women have power.
            Time has been going by so quickly these past few weeks.  I feel like the days were really dragging on for months and now all of a sudden everything is happening so quickly.  I drank some tea out of one of the cups I made.  It was kind of exciting.  The water was really hot and the cup was too hot to hold for a bit, but then I just held it like a tea bowl.  So it all worked out in the end.  I think I’ll just usually use them for water, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment