Wednesday, April 24, 2013

April 24


I got my cups out of the bisque kiln this morning.  They look nice.  They’re not a perfect set, although I’m sure once they’re out of the glaze kiln they’ll look pretty nice together.  I made ten cups, because the first four that I made didn’t match enough, so I made six more.  Then when they all came out of the kiln they all had pretty much the same dimensions.  So now I have six extra.  I think I can just use them as a set of ten, maybe.  I’ll pick my four favorites to go on the table setting, and then when my project is over they can just be their own set.  Actually, two of them are substantially bigger than the rest, so I can have a set of eight and a separate set of two. 
            The serving dish that I threw yesterday wasn’t ready to trim yet today, so I flipped it upside down and put a little bit of plastic over it.  Hopefully it’ll be good to go tomorrow.  I trimmed the two teacups that I made yesterday, and there are five that look good and one of them is too big.  I’m sure it’ll be easy to pick the best four of those. 
            I didn’t actually get to glaze anything with clear today.  I spent all three of my free blocks working on the blind contour drawings.  I drew them on all ten cups, and the platter, which also came out of the bisque today.  Then I underglazed the platter and five of the cups.  Tomorrow I’ll finish underglazing the cups, and then I need to wax them all.  Then I’ll clear glaze the rest of the work that’s ready, and hopefully I’ll be able to start loading the kiln.  Otherwise I’ll just spend Friday loading it.  It takes way more time than you’d think to load the kiln.  Everything has fit right, and you need to really economize space.  You can pack things in there pretty tight because nothing moves around in the electric kiln.
            It’s cool the way the kiln works; you put a little cone (it’s called a kiln sitter) in this little space, and it sits on tow little prongs and it holds up a third little prong, and when it gets hot enough, the cone melts and the third little prong falls and it shuts the kiln off.  Different cones melt at different temperatures.  Lots of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment