Thursday, May 16, 2013

May 14


            More tile making today.  I was really productive.  I made a bunch of tiles, by making a slab and then cutting it, and then I decided to just make a bunch of slabs so that I could make the tiles all in a row.  I was going to make six by six tiles, but I keep cutting the slabs too small and I have to make five by five ones.  Which is okay, too.  That was the size I wanted originally.  It’s hard to make big enough slabs because they clay gets so cracky and dry with all of the grog in it.  Cracky is apparently not a real word. 
            I’m almost done with the twenty-six pounds of clay.  Actually, probably not.  I made almost the whole bag worth of slabs, but I still have to cut the tiles and then wedge the scraps back up and make more slabs and then more tiles and then wedge the scraps and make more slabs and more tiles until I pass out.  Probably.  I feel like I’m baking sugar cookies.  I think I might bake real sugar cookies at some point.
            Making tiles is way more time consuming than it looks like it should be.
            We had our English class in hoyt today.  I’m going to miss that class when the year is over.  I really like the book club idea.  Maybe I can convince some of my friends to have a book club with me this summer.  Although I’ll probably spend most of the summer finishing I am Charlotte Simmons.  Which I love.  I love Tom Wolfe.  He’s probably my favorite author, besides Richard Fariña.  I started reading the Right Stuff earlier this year, but I got too busy to finish it.  Maybe I’ll finish that this summer, too.  It’ll just be a Tom Wolfe summer.  I’m really excited to go on lots of bike rides this summer.  There’s this place in Falmouth called Bourne Farm, and it’s perfect.  You can get there really easily on the bike path, and then walk around and it’s really beautiful, and then there are lots of trees to sit under and have a picnic or read.  I always sit outside of Coffee O and read after work.  I feel like that’s how I spent most of last summer.  I don’t even remember doing anything else.  Hopefully this summer is a little bit more exciting.  I’m going to Quebec with my mom and my sister right after graduation!  So that’ll be a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment