Tuesday, May 7, 2013

May 6


My project is totally coming to a close.  Today I finished glazing all of my work, except the candleholders, which are still being bisqued.  I glazed an extra plate, the six teacups, and my serving dish.  And then I loaded the kiln, which really took some creative problem solving skills.  Which I didn’t have, in the end.  Luckily Mr. Barmonde was there with his.  I knew there was enough space in the kiln to fit everything, but I couldn’t figure out how.  I was working on that for a super long time, and then he just came in and shuffled things around and figured it out in a few seconds.  I have trouble with spatial relationships.  I have a photo of my friend and I trying to fit a small sofa into the trunk of a car.  Unsuccessfully.
            I also played around with how I’m going to set things up for my show on the 22nd.  I’m going to set up the dishes like they’re on a dinner table, instead of doing things on individual pedestals.  I think I might be able to get a table from somewhere, but I might just have to cut a piece of plywood and set it up on a pedestal to make a makeshift table.  I want it to be big enough to fit all of the pieces, including the tea set and the serving dishes, but I think I might have to set those things up on individual pedestals.
            I think I’m going to make tiles.  I don’t really have anything left to do that’s related to my project.  I have to find a table and all that, but I still have almost two weeks.  I’m going to make a bunch of tiles with blind contour drawings on them, and maybe I’ll sell them or give them away as gifts.  Did I already talk about this?  Well, I didn’t know if I was going to have time before, but I totally do.  I have to figure out what the best way to make them is.  Maybe I’ll have to make a mold.  Maybe they already have a tile mold.  That would be easier. 
            Tomorrow I’m going to start the kiln.  I loaded it today and tomorrow morning it’ll be good to go.  I have to wait because somebody needs to be here when it turns off, to make sure everything is ok with it.  Then I’ll have everything out on Wednesday or Thursday and I’ll be able to finalize my set up.

No comments:

Post a Comment